Baking // Two-Tone Pink Flower Cupcakes

Earlier last month I had a bit of a baking-mad day where I made a chocolate cake, cookies and these cupcakes which I absolutely love so I decided to turn the recipe into a blog post! When I'm in the mood to make cupcakes, I always struggle for decorating inspiration and usually end up wandering the supermarket aisles up and down until I see something I like. I found these little edible sugar-flowers and leaves and used them with (attempted) two-tone pink icing to create these mini cupcake bouquets!

I found these multi-coloured cupcake cases in the supermarket too, and thought they were perfect for these cupcakes!
I made a traditional cupcake batter mix, using the recipe that never fails me and you can find it here on my blog. You will need a little bit extra batter, so I recommend making an extra half a batch by using:
150g butter
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
150g self raising flower
I used the extra cake batter to colour pink which I put at the bottom of each cupcake case so that hopefully when we cut into the cakes they have a pink layer for a surprise-inside twist.
 I admit that I cheated with the icing, I used two tubs of ready made vanilla buttercream and coloured each one a different shade of pink.
Once your cakes have completely cooled down, it's time to ice them and you can do this however you want, but I took my piping bag with a large open star tip nozzle and layered the two tones of pink inside the bag so we got a two-tone gradient effect with the icing. This is the first time I'd done two tone icing but in hindsight I wish I made the lighter pink even lighter and the darker pink a tad more vibrant.  
I went ahead and did the classic swirl on top of each cupcake and you can just about see the two colours if you look closely.  
I then placed some mini pink and white marshmallows on each cupcake and then placed a sugar-leaf that came in the pack with the flowers in the top of the icing. Then I finished off the cakes with a little flower on the very tip of the icing and voila!
I love how they turned out, even though it's getting into Autumn they are perfect Spring cupcakes and just add a touch of brightness to your day. They're super quick and easy to make as well and make excellent treats or gifts to a special someone.
 
What is your favourite thing to bake? Cakes, cookies, cupcakes? Why not share your favourite recipes in the comments below!
 
Beth <3 x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Apply False Nails

MUA Cosmetics Review