Makeup Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit // Review

Happy New Year! Since this is my first post of 2017, I thought I would review the very first makeup product I purchased this year. This is the new Makeup Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit which you notice is a drugstore dupe for the Kylie Jenner Lip Kits. You can buy these in Superdrug and it contains one lip pencil and one liquid lipstick and is described as a 'lip contour'.
The shade that I picked up is called Reign. On first impression, this looked like a nice wearable pink shade however once I took the two products out of the box, I was actually quite disappointed as the colour of the tube looked different to what was on the packaging. However you do get a full sized lip liner and liquid lipstick.
The swatches of the two products are nice and pigmented and when I was swatching them I was actually quite impressed with how smoothly they glided on. However, I'm not convinced that this shade is going to be wearable for me, I felt a bit mislead with the colour of the swatch compared to what was on the packaging.
 This is where things started to get a little disappointing for me. I applied the lip liner first and even though it was really smooth, effortless and precise to apply, it majorly emphasised cracks and fine lines in my lips and the tip of the pencil snapped while I was using it even though I didn't think I was being too harsh with it; the formula of the lip liner is very soft but it does sharpen like a normal pencil.
 The liquid lipstick is actually a fair bit lighter than the lip liner but I absolutely love how it applies. However once the two products have set, they dry really tacky and if I roll my lips together they stick which feels really uncomfortable and heavy which I don't like the feel of.
Overall, these lip kits have left me feeling disappointed. I really didn't like the colour or how they felt on the lips, I thought they were too drying and felt way too uncomfortable. I'm usually a fan of Makeup Revolution makeup as they are great products at an affordable price but unfortunately, in my opinion, this lip kit is a miss and something that I won't repurchase.
 
If you have tried the MUR Lip Kits, let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
 
Beth x


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review and amazing photos. They do seem to have issues with their Lip products not being the colour advertised. I bought a brown Lipstick a few months ago and it was actually a light coral shade. When I emailed they just said they don't offer a satisfaction guarantee! This is why I now wait for bloggers and Youtubers like yourself to test them out. Sorry it was a miss for you - it does look quite pretty in the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment! Revolution is one of my favourite drugstore brands but sadly every makeup company will launch a product that fails to meet customer expectations and it's a shame they don't offer a satisfaction guarantee. However MUR do have some absolutely fantastic products, this just wasn't one of them.

      Beth

      Delete
  3. oh i was was hoping that its gonna be kiyle lips dupe but it dont think its worth buying anyway BTW love your review <3

    ammarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the comment! It is nowhere near a dupe for the Kylie Lip Kits. I agree, its not worth buying.

      Delete
  4. I felt the same. I bought one yesterday i got Grande and was expecting like a darkish nudey brownie colour however its bright pink and sadly it is unwearable for me as i just look like a clown. I could get over the stickiness if it was the right shade. I now feel like £6 has been wasted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for commenting. I discovered that the colours were wrong before I found out how sticky they were, so either way I was massively let down. They now have new shades coming out but I'm put off trying them because these were such a let down

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Apply False Nails

MUA Cosmetics Review