Popping Candy Cupcakes

In honour of the return of The Great British Bake Off 2015 I have made some cupcakes using popping candy which is one of my favourite baking ingredients and I've decorated them in a way that makes them look quite elegant but then with the popping candy it adds some fun and just a bit more flavour and texture.

I am using my favourite cupcake recipe which you can find on my blog here, otherwise you can use whatever recipe you want. I am making the cakes from scratch but I am cheating with the icing, anyway the ingredients I am using are:
100g Unsalted Butter
100g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
100g Self Raising Flour
Vanilla Essence
Baking Powder
Food colouring (optional, I decided not to use it in the end)
Buttercream Icing (Ready made or homemade, up to you!)
Decoration of your choice, I am using Silver Balls, Shimmer Stars and of course, Popping Candy!
Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 4 and line cupcake tray with cupcake cases. I have silver foil cupcake cases and they fitted the theme of the cupcakes really nicely.
Use a wooden spoon to cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly/
Add the vanilla essence, a teaspoon of baking powder and the self raising flour and fold in with a metal spoon.
Spoon equal amounts of batter into each case and I found that the amount of batter was enough for ten cases only because these cases are bigger than normal fairy cake cases.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and you know when they are done when you insert a cocktail stick into the cake and it comes out clean.
Once they are cooled completely, make some buttercream icing to decorate the cupcakes with. I have a recipe here but you can use whatever you want. I did a traditional ice cream style swirl on each cupcake.
I then added the decoration and placed some shimmer stars, sugar balls and popping candy on the icing. Do this over a tray so that it is easier to clean up and excess decoration that fall off.
Also in honour of GBBO, visit TotallyCulture's post of his Doctor Who themed Cupcakes here!

What is your favourite cupcake decoration/flavour?

SparkleEyes x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Apply False Nails

MUA Cosmetics Review